what it's like to be a stay at home mom

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I was talking with a girlfriend today who is currently a working mom. This was the same friend that talked with me during my pregnancy, and championed my decision to have a natural birth. She had two of hers naturally. She gave me so many advices, and listened to all my questions, and complaints.  She is just one of those people that you just can't help but love. You automatically feel close to her, and then you become life-long friends.

While we were talking, she expressed some concerns on what she was missing out being a working mom. Mind you, I have only being doing this since March so I'm still learning about what it means to be a stay at home mom. And quite frankly, it's more complex then I ever imagined.

I consider myself a Type A personality so it was quite hard at first. Somedays you don't accomplish anything on your to-do list. There is no promotion, no good job. There is no thank you from Mason (at least not yet ;). There is no break to go chat with your cubicle friends. There is no going down to the cafe for a muffin. There is no annual reviews on how you are doing. You can't measure how "good" you are as a mom. And being Type A, that's what I needed.

Not to say that I don't enjoy being a stay at home mom. It's growing on me. I love being able to take a nap during the day after a bad night. I love seeing Mason's face as he sees a plane, and one index finger pointing to it, with that face of his, all lighted up. I love going in after his nap and wrapping my arms around him. I love going to story time with him at the library. I love seeing him pretending to read after I have stepped away from the room. I love snuggling when he's not feeling well. I love this sweet precious time that I have with him.

So, yes, you will miss things. But whatever it is you do, do something you love. Do something that you get up in the morning, and you are excited for. And remember that your kids are somewhere that they are cared for, loved, and stimulated.

I do believe some moms are better moms when they work outside of the home. But just as the seasons change, you can as well. If whatever you are doing is not working, then change it. If you want to go back to work, then figure out what you need to do, and work on changing that. If you want to be a stay at home mom, figure out what you and your family need to do in order to make it happen, and work on changing that.

Whatever it is that ends up happening, know that it is not forever. And remember that you are the boss of your own life. You decide what happens. Whether that is working inside the home, or outside of the home, things will work out.

Kaolee


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS・POWERED BY BLOGGER